Tuesday 5 May 2009

Internet addictions and leftovers...



Are we a people addicted to information? Ask yourself a few questions: how often do you compulsively check your email? When a disagreement arises, does Google have the final say? What about your mobile? If it runs out of battery or gets lost, do you go through mobile withdrawal?

I suppose we should start off by defining what an addiction is. Addiction, according to Princeton, is being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (thanks Google). So let's see. Am I dependent on the Internet? Check. Do I habitually check my emails? Yup. Browse around? Who doesn't? I guess the key word in that definition is abnormally. Now, ten years ago, I'd say checking your email at least 5 times a day might beconsidered excessive and abnormal. So the question is, are we addicted? Or has society's view point shifted so that what might have been considered an addiction is now "normal".

Tell me, dear Internet, what say you?

And now for the food part of this post. As you saw, I baked that wonderfully, oozy, gooey chocolate cake on the weekend. Well, I had tons of icing left over! And trust me, I'm all for grabbing a spoon and rotting my teeth, but I had a few committee meetings to go to and I thought that it would be a great way to use up my extra icing. So, I wandered off to Tescos and picked up some 25p Tesco Value Rich Tea Biscuits. The result? A gloriously rich and sweet sandwich cookie with a crunchy biscuit that is just plain (is that the right word?) enough to take the edge off the richness of the icing.


Mmmmm. A leaning tower of cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment